The Potager

The Potager

Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Potager in late July

It seems you wait and wait for things to eat, then suddenly, you are having a hard time keeping up with the harvest. Isn't it wonderful?
In particular I am talking about squash and cucumbers, but today I noticed that I'd better pick some purple beans. I didn't even realize they were at that stage.



 We have tomatoes. They are very small, but every day we have some with dinner. They taste great and there are larger ones on the vine getting riper every day.
I am not sure what to do with these Black Krim. I've never seen one, so I don't know what they should look like when ripe. Unfortunately they are splitting on the vine. I guess I'll pick them and let them finish in the house where bugs won't get in the cracks.
And something is in the vines of my Amish Paste tomatoes. I haven't had time to really examine and see what it is, but half the plant is very yellow




I took out the broccoli plants. While they were still producing broccoli off shoots, they were quite bitter - I'm guessing it has just been too hot. We have had several days over 100 and most days over 90.
I will plant snow peas there in a few weeks, getting ready for fall.



I planted more bush beans, but the hot weather fried several seedlings while I was at work.

I'll have to wait and see if any more are going to germinate. It's pretty sparse right now. You can see the areas that receive a bit of shade in the afternoon. The seedlings are all doing well there. I guess I should have set up a shade cover.



A few of my Everbearing Strawberry plants are producing fruit! It will only be enough to sprinkle on cereal or ice cream, but I'm excited.
I need to get some bird netting soon.


This made me laugh. I guess it's a twin? It's a white scallop squash with two blossoms!



The two weeks I wasn't really working the garden, the raspberries exploded. They are hanging all over the place. I need to get hubs to make my containment system. There are several baby raspberry plants in the raised bed, and quite a few on the ground outside the bed! (Ugh! those weeds! This area really needs some TLC)

No comments:

Post a Comment