The Potager

The Potager

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Turnips!

Today's harvest - turnips!



I have grown turnips in the past without great success, but this year, they were beautiful! I wish I had planted more.
This is my entire turnip crop.
Enough for my husband and me for one meal - actually two meals, as we will eat the turnip greens tomorrow.





 But for tonight, we are eating Maple Braised Turnips and Carrots, a favorite recipe from Jack Bishop's wonderful cookbook "Vegetables Every Day."

You need about a pound of turnips and 3 carrots. The carrots in my Potager are not mature yet, but our grocery store had organic carrots $1.00 a bag.
Peel both the turnips and the carrots.
Cut the turnips into cubes and cut the carrot into one inch sections, halved or quartered if thick.

Brown the turnips in 2 Tablespoons of butter.

Add the carrots, 2/3 cup chicken stock, 2 Tablespoons maple syrup and salt and pepper to taste.
Cover the pan, reduce the heat and simmer until the veggies are tender, about 15 minutes.

Uncover the pan and bring the heat up to high until the liquid in the pan reduces to a thick glaze (about 2 minutes.)


Adjust the seasonings and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment