The Potager

The Potager

Monday, February 20, 2012

Happy President's Day

Very happy for me! I am fortunate to have President's day off. I headed to a garden shop and picked up some goodies to plant in my garden come spring, along with some seed starting trays. I walked outside in my sweatshirt all day and was fine. I wish I knew that this mild weather we have had all winter would last. I could plant things now and get a head start! The weather teases me, saying come into the garden, but I resist because I know if I do it will probably hit us with a major snow storm.
But while I cannot plant things in the garden yet, there are things already planted that are reappearing or remaining, much to my delight!
This is actually the time of year this plant should be flowering. I was worried that since it bloomed all winter it would stop early, but look at all those buds! I love this plant.
My rosemary looks like it may survive the winter! I am really excited by this. I have never had rosemary make it to Thanksgiving before. The summer savory next to it is also doing well. I have never grown this before so I don't know whether is dies back or not.  And the thyme behind the savory is still green. That usually  gives up around New Year's Day. I have enjoyed using the fresh herbs all winter.
The chives and the garlic chives are coming up.
The garlic is growing well. The shallots are not. I just read this weekend that in the North shallots are planted in the spring for fall harvest. They are only planted in the fall in the south. Oops. But maybe with the mild winter, they will come up. They may have been fooled into thinking they were down south!  I'll wait before I replace them.

Inside I have started seedlings. This sad looking tray of onion seedlings have now been renamed as the onions that saved my face.
I tripped over the open door of the dishwasher while carrying them. I managed to keep the tray upright and get it safely to the floor on the way down before realizing to my horror that my face was still on a collision course with the tile floor. I quickly bent my face down into the soft dirt in the seedling tray and came up with a face full of dirt and a small cut on my nose. I can't imagine what damage the tile floor would have done! My full face plant bent the tray and squished and moved many of the onions. They seem to be recovering, but if they die, I'll have to say they did so for a good cause!

No comments:

Post a Comment