The Potager

The Potager

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Potatoes

My potatoes have not been looking too well. The photo below was taken two weeks ago.
The brown curled edges eventually over took all the leaves and began to kill off the stems too.
Not sure if this was potato blight, which can spread to tomatoes, I donned gloves and pulled out all my potato plants except for one that still looked healthy, and threw them into a plastic bag and threw them into the trash. If it is blight, I don't want to compost them and possibly spread the blight to future gardens.

Even though I had never seen the potatoes in bloom, a sign of developing potatoes, I decided to dig around and see if there were any spuds in the ground.

Boy, were there spuds! I dug up five pounds of beautiful potatoes! How exciting! We had some with dinner and will be enjoying them for the next week or so. I have no delusions that I can store them.  I would have to plant a lot more than I have room for at this time. But it is still exciting to grow something you've never grown successfully before. Next year I will again plan for potatoes in the Potager. They really do taste better than the ones you buy in the store.


This year, when I finish harvesting the bed, I'll prepare the soil to take some fall crops. Yes, fall crops. And I am behind on my planting for fall. I just got my seeds planted for kale, cabbage and brussel sprouts. I hope I get to enjoy some of them before it gets too cold.

For now, I'll just keep enjoying the bountiful harvest from the Potager in early August.
(Cucumber recipes, anyone?)

No comments:

Post a Comment