The Potager

The Potager

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Onion Seeds planted

It is snowing -- again. We have had so much snow this winter.
Perfect day to plant some onions!
My onion sets and onion starts last year did not produce very nice onions. It could be that with the wedding and surgery, I neglected the garden a bit. Or it could have been the sets and starts. How likely is that?
Either way, I am anxious to get my hands in soil, and it is onion planting time! So while the snow whips around outside, inside I washed my seed tray from last year in hot soapy water and gathered my supplies.
I bought two kinds of onion seeds - Sweet Yellow Spanish Utah Jumbo and Red Burgundy.
I planted 36 red and 33 yellow ( I lost one of my original seed starting trays over the winter and used a six pack I had laying around).  I would love to say I then placed them in a sunny window.
They were placed by a window.  If the winter keeps going this way, I may invest in some grow lamps.

No comments:

Post a Comment