The Potager

The Potager

Friday, June 12, 2015

Harvesting this week

A quick update of what is being harvested this week. The strawberries are still coming and the asparagus is just about done. Time to let it grow into those lovely feathery plants.
The English peas which were planted late are being harvested.
These were shelled and cooked in milk and butter, sprinkled with salt, pepper and some chopped up mint from the Potager. Absolutely delicious. I got that recipe from the back of a book I just finished, The Dirty Life: A Memoir of Farming, Food and Love. I highly recommend this book.
Salads are going strong now also. There is nothing better than a salad picked fresh from your garden for dinner.

"I heard him say, "In my retirement, I just to be a simple farmer. I want...tranquillity." 
What you really want is a garden, I thought to myself. A very, very small one. 
In my experience, tranquil and simple are two things farming is not." - Kristin Kimball, The Dirty Life


No comments:

Post a Comment