The Potager

The Potager

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Moon Flowers!

Moon Flowers!


This afternoon I saw this in the garden and made a note to come back to the garden tonight. It is my first Moon Flower Bud

.
Sure enough at twilight there was my first moon flower bloom! It is supposed to smell heavenly, but I could not smell anything at all. It is about the size and shape of a squash blossom. It also reminds me of a lily. I was so enchanted by it I stayed in the garden until dark.



In the moon light the rest of the garden was shadows, but the Moon Flower was visible. It was being visited by moths quite frequently (there's one in this photo).

The Moon Flower is a relative of the Morning Glory. But while the Morning Glory unfurls at the break of day, when the sun rises the petals of this flower will fall to the ground. It blooms for one night only. I am so glad I was there!

No comments:

Post a Comment