The Potager

The Potager

Sunday, September 5, 2010

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

Ah, the harvest is in full swing and we are eating well from the garden these days!




This one Ugli tomato cut up measured 3 cups. I am definitely saving some seeds from this plant. These tomatoes are delicious!


Hunky Hubby added a few more tomatoes, some peppers, some jalapenos, onions, cilantro, parsley, lime juice and salt and pepper for some wonderful homemade salsa.  He loves cutting up vegetables - and we all love the results!


 This was wrapped in a whole grain soft tortilla with guacamole, leftover london broil and cheese for a yummy dinner. (On paper plates! No dishes - it's a holiday weekend!)

The holiday weekend gave me a chance to catch up on some gardening chores, like planting more fall crops.
I put in carrots (Danvers Half Longs and Red Cored Chantenay) with Radishes (gourmet blend) planted in between. The radishes will be picked before the carrots need the room, hopefully.
I also planted lettuce - little gem, Merlot, and black seeded simpson.
These are all new seeds. I am a bit disappointed with the old seeds I planted earlier. Only a few of them have sprouted. I am throwing out my old seeds and starting next year with all new seeds.
My cat Smokey patrolled the fence top while I planted.

Patrolling lower down was this cute little toad. The wood he's sitting on is only 1-1/2 inches thick! Toads eat bad bugs, so I hope he stays and invites all his friends!
I haven't gotten any photos of them, but we are being visited daily by Goldfinches. They are feasting on the sunflower seeds and the zinnia seeds and eating something (bugs I hope) in the Ugli tomato plants (or maybe they just think they are trees - the plants are huge!!). The break from the hot weather and the animal visitors have made the garden a fun place to be in this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment