The Potager

The Potager

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Indian Summer

It was one of those rare days when you can go coat-less in a tee shirt two weeks before Thanksgiving! Lovely, but hubby and I had a bedroom to paint. Since we were using an oil based primer, we were glad to be able to open the windows! These windows look out over the Potager...it looks pretty empty now.

So when he said, "That's enough indoor stuff for today," I went out to the garden to play!

I had stuck some excess asparagus in a berm of soil behind the Potager and the rains had washed the soil away from the roots, so I moved some wood around the berm and refilled it with soil. I then mulched it with leaves and composting grass. Not really pretty, but I can fix it up this spring. At least it will keep the plants through the winter.

A few months ago I was standing in Lowes waiting for the guy to mix up the paint for our patio steps (painting, painting, painting .. I do a lot of it for someone who hates it!) and I was thumbing through Mother Earth News and read a small article that said if you plant your cilantro in the fall, it will come up earlier in the spring and you will get more before it bolts, so with only that small bit of remembered information to go on, I planted Cilantro in a corner of the Potager. We will see what happens.


It is remarkable to me that there are still flowers blooming in and around the Potager.

This Salvia Ostfriesland is still sending up purple spires....


The roses keep blooming, not in abundance, but the bush is still producing buds...


And the Wave Petunia hasn't seemed to mind the frost at all!

It's wonderful to have an Indian Summer Day, but it's even more wonderful when it's a Saturday and not a work day!



"I cannot endure to waste anything as precious as autumn sunshine by staying in the house. "
-  Nathaniel Hawthorne

No comments:

Post a Comment