The Potager

The Potager

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Time in the garden today!

There were two days in the 60's this week. I work full time. I missed them.
But though it is only in the high 40's and very windy, I couldn't help myself, I had to get into the garden!

The wind has pushed a lot of my leaf mulch off the soil. The soil is loose and not frozen.
I know it's only February, but the seed packet phrase " as soon as the soil can be worked" echoed in my head.
I'll wait a few more weeks, but it's not easy.

The fencing came away from the wood in this section and the wind filled it with the leaves. I'll have to get that fixed before the critters discover a way into the garden.



Two warm days and the rose bushes have turned green again.

I am  going to have to trim them in a couple of weeks.

I guess I'll be cutting all this healthy looking green off.

I hope that's the right thing to do. I'll have to trust the instructions that came with the roses.


There were weeds coming up already! So I weeded the garden! It felt so good to be out there that I didn't even mind.

I may not have that same attitude toward weeding in August.
Just so you know.


Freshly weeded bed. This will be one half of our strawberry bed in a few months.

Yes, I loaded that trug tub with weeds and old plants today. There was a lot of mess left over from the fall.


This little seedling is the cilantro I planted last fall. I uncovered his mulch bed just to see what was happening. I tucked him back in. Hopefully, he'll grow early and give me lots of lovely Cilantro before he turns into a coriander plant. I have yet to find a use for coriander, but I grow it really well each year!

The carrots I thought had wintered over were only on the edges of the bed. Not enough to dedicate the whole bed to when I do my spring planting.

I didn't peek at the garlic.

In honor of President's Day, a quote from Thomas Jefferson (whose garden I hope to someday visit):

"No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth, and no culture comparable to that of the garden."

No comments:

Post a Comment