The Potager

The Potager

Monday, August 22, 2011

Thinking Fall

Summer is winding down, but my schedule isn't. I was away all weekend visiting my youngest daughter (which was wonderful) and when I got back I was shocked to see how bad my garden looked. Not in three days, in all honesty. We've had storms in the evenings, or I've had things to do, and when you only have weekends to get out there, things can fall apart quickly.
However, I did use a spare hour or two last weekend to clean up some spent plants, add some manure and plant some fall crops.
This weekend the seedlings have come up.
These are snow peas. They will climb the fence behind them. In the middle of this bed I planted lettuces, which are coming up now, and radishes in the front, also sprouting.
This bed has turnips coming up.  I still need to plant kale, more lettuce and pak choi. This coming weekend is a family wedding, so I don't know how much time I'll have then, and then it's Labor Day weekend! How can that be? Summer zoomed by!
A pleasant surprise waiting for me when I returned was this gerbera daisy blooming in the concrete planter in the center of the Potager. I left that plant in there all summer hoping it would re-bloom at some point.
One bit of loveliness in a whole garden of messiness. I have my work cut out for me this week!
Before and after photos to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment