The Potager

The Potager

Thursday, February 8, 2018

A Greenhouse Full of Orchids!

I'm not a big lover of houseplants. I have a few scattered around the house because they are supposed to be good for one's indoor air quality, but they don't excite me like a garden does. They look the same day after day - no new vegetables, no sudden growth. Sigh. In fact (true confession time) I have been known to "accidentally" leave them outside at the end of summer. 😳

My friend Sheila grows orchids. Beautiful orchids that bloom each year for months on end. I admire her. Because while I think orchids in bloom are beautiful, they spend a lot of time looking like this:
This is my sole grocery store variety orchid. Or as I call it, "the orchid I haven't given to Sheila in frustration yet." But today I became inspired to care for it a little bit longer. Sheila asked me if I wanted to join her and her friend Sandy on a trip to Dearborn Market in Holmdel for their annual Orchid Show . The show runs through Sunday February 11th if you're in the area.  You can click on the link for more information.

Spending a few hours in a green house in February was enough enticement,  but I really wanted to meet Sandy Greig of Bringing the Farm Home. She is so talented and has such a beautiful blog.  Check it out when you have time! Sandy was as down-to-earth and friendly as she seems in her blog.

So off we went to spend time with the orchids. In the dullness of February, the colors and fragrances were almost startling. And the warm greenhouse was the perfect place to spend the afternoon. We bought lunch at the market and found a cozy little table for three and just had a wonderful time!  It was a perfect winter break! I came home and looked at my poor little orchid with new respect. As long as I hide it next to the primroses so it doesn't just look like leaves, it may stand a chance! If not, there's always Sheila.
But enough of my sad looking orchid, here are some beauties from the show. I know nothing about orchids and wouldn't even try to name them, so I'll just let their beauty speak for itself.












28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these."
 - Matthew 6:28-29










No comments:

Post a Comment