The Potager

The Potager

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Some like it hot!



In the corner of my garden, tucked away in the back, are two jalapeno pepper plants. Tucked away in the corner because one year I planted them in my pepper bed and all my bell peppers tasted slightly hot. Two because that seems to be the right amount for me and my husband. These plants are prolific!





A peek under the leaves reveals lots of  peppers ready to be picked. Only four days ago I picked 8 and made Baked Jalapeno Poppers. I still had some leftover filling so....
I picked some more and a cubanelle pepper too.
I made Baked Jalapeno Poppers and fresh Salsa for tonight's dinner.
Here's how I make my Jalapeno Poppers.

The peppers need to be halved and de-seeded - the seeds are really hot! I would wear rubber or latex gloves when you do this - or get your hunky husband to do it for you!



Fill the halves with a mixture of softened cream cheese and shredded cheddar cheese. I also mixed in a little cumin and cayenne pepper too.





Dip the filled pepper in flour, then in a mixture of eggs and a splash of milk, and lastly in plain breadcrumbs, mixed with cajun seasoning. I use Penzey Spice Cajun Seasoning.
Place on cookie sheet sprayed with oil.





Here they are - all dipped and ready to pop in the preheated oven.
Spray with oil to keep the top from being too dry and to help with the browning.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes or until browned and the cheese starts to run.




Try to remember to take picture of them before everyone eats them all!

These are so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment