The Potager

The Potager

Monday, August 16, 2010

Life Finds a Way

We cut down trees so our old garden could get more light. Then we decided to move the garden and build our lovely potager.
There were still perennials in the old garden - thyme, chives, mint, strawberries and asparagus, not to mention a whole lot of flowers.
I was waiting until the fall to transplant them.
So you can imagine my horror when my husband took the backhoe and leveled the yard!
He really thought he was being helpful.
I mourned for a week. My poor plants - gone.

However, as Dr. Ian Malcolm said in Jurassic Park,  "Life, um,  finds a way."


In the scarred landscape the asparagus returned!
It's August, I don't know if I can move them, but they don't belong in the middle of our future lawn.

I dug out a few and put them in the bed of my garden to see if they would survive the August heat.
I dug a trench, made a mound of compost in the center and laid the roots out, then I covered them with dirt, leaving the crown close to the top, barely covered.

So far, so good.
My dilemma now is that the "asparagus" bed is filled with tomato plants and flowers.
I may put these mature asparagus elsewhere in the yard and hope for the best, then buy new plants this coming spring for my garden bed.

I do have six baby asparagus that I transplanted from the asparagus bed in June that are doing well. But it will take 3 years before we can eat these.
I was hoping to move the older plants and only have a one year wait.
We'll have to wait and see how this all works out.

Will I find a place in the yard to replant the rest of them?

Will the ones in the Potager survive growing in raised beds?

" All major changes are like death. You can't see what is on the other side until you get there."   - Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment