The Potager

The Potager

Monday, October 25, 2010

Garlic Planting Time

This is the first year I am planting garlic. I may be going about this the wrong way. From all I've read, I should be buying garlic bulbs for planting from a gardening center. But instead I bought an extra bulb of organic garlic from the supermarket and used that.
The issue with supermarket garlic is that apparently they spray some with something that inhibits it from sprouting. I am hoping they would not do that to food they are selling as organic.
So I turned over a section of a bed, added a lot of compost, some lime and some fertilizer and separated the garlic bulb. Each clove was planted in a hole, four inches deep, about 6 inches away from the next one, pointed end up....





When I was getting the compost from my compost pile, I found a garlic starting to grow in the compost, so I planted that too!




The garlic may sprout this fall, but it will go dormant over the winter and begin to grow in earnest next spring. They will be ready to harvest in July.

"No one is indifferent to garlic. People either love it or hate it, and most good cooks seem to belong in the first group." - Faye Levy

No comments:

Post a Comment