The Potager

The Potager

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Green Tomato Bread

Green Tomato Bread

There has been plenty of rain and not much to do in the garden, so early this morning I decided to do something with those green tomatoes I had harvested. I decided to make Green Tomato Bread!

I started by cutting up the green tomatoes to go into the food processer (a blender would work too). I cut up four tomatoes.
 The cut up tomatoes were processed to a mush.

The mush was drained of it's liquid. I ended up with 2 cups of the drained mush, which is what you want.

The resulting mush juice went into my compost pile. There has got to be a ton of nutrients in that!
 In a large mixing bowl, I mixed together 2 cups of white sugar, 1 cup of oil (I used Canola) and 3 eggs slightly beaten.
 When that was mixed I added 3 cups flour, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1/2 tsp. cloves, 3 tsp. cinnamon and 1/2 tsp. nutmeg.

I mixed this in with the egg mixture.

At this point I was thinking I should have used my stand mixer. It is a very thick batter at this point.


Then I added 2 cups of the green tomato mush and 1 teaspoon of vanilla and the batter loosened up a bit and was much easier to stir by hand.

I then stirred in 1 cup of chopped walnuts. This is totally optional. If you don't like nuts, leave them out.
 It was suggested to me that raisins would be good in this bread also. So if you like raisins you could add 1 cup of raisins in addition to or instead of the nuts.

 Divide batter between two bread pans and bake in a 350 degree oven for one hour or until done. Let cool in pans for a bit before you take them out.

Voila! A beautiful loaf of Green Tomato Bread!

It was really very good! Try some.. it's a great way to use up those green tomatoes that may not be in good enough shape for ripening indoors.

2 comments:

  1. Debbie, this is wonderful. great pictures, a perfect background and good old fashioned hard work. I subscribed so i wouldnt miss a thing this winter

    ReplyDelete