The Potager

The Potager

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Pickled Peppers

 Peter Piper isn't the only one who can pick a peck of pickled peppers! Trying to do something with all those jalapenos I harvested last weekend, I pickled some!

This has got to be the easiest recipe in the world.

Slice up your jalapenos and pack them tightly into a hot jar. I really mean tightly.


I didn't pack mine tightly enough and in the end could have fit three or four more jalapenos in each jar.

 Bring 2 cups of white vinegar and 2 cups of water to a simmer - do not allow to boil.

Add a garlic clove and a dash of salt to each jar. Add vinegar/water mix to within 1/2 inch of the top of the jar. Pop on a warm lid and sunggly screw on a ring and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.


You'll know the jars are sealed when the top pings and pressing on it doesn't make it move. You can check it the next day by unscrewing the ring and turning the jar upside down.

I made 3 pints of Pickled Peppers and 9 small jars of  Jalapeno Jelly.

I also made 3 1/2 pints of Green Tomato Relish/Salsa, but I forgot to take photos of that. You can find the recipe here: Farmgirl Fare Green Tomato Relish. It was tasty. We had some on our tacos with dinner.

I still have a lot of jalapenos to do something with. I plan on freezing some and maybe making some escabeche. The pantry will be full this winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment