The Potager

The Potager

Friday, March 30, 2012

Mystery Trees

A few years ago these weeping type trees began popping up all over the yard. They must have been in the yard a while, but we didn't notice them until they were at least 5 feet tall and very full. We watched them for a few years, then  decided they must be some kind of weed tree and removed the ones in our way.

My "removed" tree is now about 8 baby trees
 I should clarify that my husband removed the ones in his way. The ones in my way that I tried to remove grew back with friends attached.


It amazes us how many of these we found and still find to this day all over our yard.

We assumed they came from birds dropping seeds from one of our neighbors' weeping cherry trees, but they did not have the same bark, nor leaves similar to our flowering cherry trees. Then we decided they must be some native tree that just grows everywhere stealthily, without attracting much attention to itself.

The ones that we did not cut down were getting large.

This tree is taller than the shed it stands next to.
The lighter trees behind the pine tree are the same trees


But this week one of the trees bloomed!

It is very sparse and looks nothing like my grafted weeping cherry.  
The store bought grafted weeping cherry

However sparse it may be, I am enthralled! I am hoping that all the remaining trees bloom within a few years. How lovely when an ugly duckling tree turns out to be a graceful swan.

They know, they just know where to grow, how to dupe you, and how to camouflage themselves among the perfectly respectable plants, they just know, and therefore, I've concluded weeds must have brains.  ~Dianne Benson, Dirt, 1994


No comments:

Post a Comment