The Potager

The Potager

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Freezing Green Beans


It sometimes happens that one particular vegetable will give you a larger harvest than you can use. That's what happened with my Emerite Pole Beans Saturday and Sunday. 
This was Sunday's photo. Saturday's haul was just as large. I could not use them within the next few days, so I decided to freeze them for use this winter. Freezing beans is such as easy chore, that I often do it before work in the morning.
Simply rinse the beans and cut off the stem end. Then plunge the beans into boiling water for three minutes.  After three minutes, plunge them into ice water for three minutes.  
Drain the water off, then put into freezer bags, pressing out as much air as possible. My little brother gifted me with a food saver, so I now vacuum seal them, but it works both ways.
 Label the bags and throw them into the freezer.
Green beans from the garden to eat this winter. In less than 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment