The Potager

The Potager

Saturday, April 16, 2011

In the garden today

In the garden today, it is raining. I plan to re-pot some of my seedlings. I'm just taking time to steel myself up for sacrificing the weaker seedlings.
So I'll show you some photos from earlier this week when it was sunny -

Both the English peas and the Snow Peas are up. These are the English Peas. In front of them, the turnips are up. I planted three square foot boxes a couple of weeks apart, so some are very small, but all are up.
In the background you can see I added some pansies to the garden, next to the rose bush.
On the other side of the rose bush, the Greek oregano has greened up. It will be moved when we get the perennial bed finished. And next to that is the fall seeded Cilantro which is growing in leaps and bounds.
As far as the winter-sown flowers in those jugs...
 There have all sprouted. In a few weeks I'll take off the tops and get them used to being in full sun. It's nice to have that little bit of a head start.

 The transplanted asparagus has survived and is putting out skinny little stalks.
No eating them this year.
I do need to add more soil on top - it seems to have compressed in the last two weeks.


The onions are looking healthier, the spinach is now visible to the naked eye, as are the radishes.
The carrots and the beets are up, but you still have to look close to see them.

Also up, in other beds, are the swiss chard and lettuce.

Hopefully, it will be sunny tomorrow and I can get outside to plant.


Now it's time for me to go choose the best of the indoor seedlings to continue on. It's hard getting rid of the seedlings I don't want, but at this moment I have over 40 pepper plants. There's no way I have room for that many! I will take some to others, but I don't have 40 pots, so some are going into the compost pile.


The mere fact that you get a lot of seeds in a packet 
doesn't mean you have to plant all of them.-   Henry Mitchell


No comments:

Post a Comment