The Potager

The Potager

Sunday, May 5, 2013

All beds have been planted

Everyone in my area waits until Mother's Day to plant their tender vegetables, but most frost charts for our area list the last frost as April 30th. So even though it's a week earlier than I usually plant,  I decided to tempt fate and plant my vegetables.  I don't want to mislead you and let you think it's warm out. No, there is a chill in the air, but there has been enough sun that the soil has warmed up nicely.
So as of yesterday, every bed in the Potager has been fully planted.


Today I discovered that something has been eating my newly planted basil!

The two affected plants were right next to each other, so I'm wondering if the purple plant had something on it when I bought it home from the garden center.

Both plants were doused with insecticidal soap, as were all the other basil.

It doesn't take long for pests to find a vegetable garden!

I planted five each of the purple basil and regular basil, six tomato plants, 9 sweet peppers, one chili pepper and three jalapeno peppers, herbs and seeds for beans, cucumbers, squash, lettuce, radishes, chard and marigolds.

Check out my jazzy new tomato cages! Red, blue, yellow and green!

They are so fun! They add a little color while everything is small.

Hubby wasn't with me when I was shopping to tell me they are unnecessary. :)

His comment was, "Wouldn't the old rusty ones still work?"

Well, of course they will. Therefore I am using them to protect sunflower seedlings from the ravenous deer. 



But these cages make me happy everytime I look at them.
As does this adorable watering can flower pot filled with red gerbera daisies.  How cute is this?

I have it sitting in the frame of the bird bath that broke to give some color a bit higher up in the flower garden. Not necessary, not practical, but I smile every time I look at it!

I call the Potager "My happy place." And these little touches make it an even happier place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment