The Potager

The Potager

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Frost Warning!

The average last frost date is an average, meaning that the frost can occur before or after that date. On the news last night they gave a frost warning for our area. I grabbed a bunch of sheets and covered the tender vegetables in the garden.
It looked like a ghost garden! A frost warning means that the predicted temperature is expected to fall to 36 degrees or lower. It was expected to be near freezing just before dawn. Sheets will protect plants from frost. The frost will go on the sheets rather than the plants. Saving old sheets is not hoarding if you are a gardener!
However, I do not have enough old sheets. So I improvised with some homemade Cloches.
These are protecting my okra seedlings.
I came downstairs at 6:00 AM, after sunrise, and the thermometer was below freezing.
There was also frost on the roof.
I'm glad I listened to the weatherman's advice!
All the plants survived! We even sheltered a little spider under one of sheets!
All we need now is some seasonal weather to get these plants growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment