The Potager

The Potager

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Gardening on my mind

Another snowy day in the Potager.

We are expecting another foot tonight. It is truly beautiful. I love this season of quiet coverings.

But my mind wanders to the spring.

It is only 7 weeks to St.Patrick's Day, the first day of gardening for me. That day, or as close to it as I can get, is the day the peas get planted in the garden!

And the peas get followed by onions and broccoli and spinach! Oh my!

After paying high prices for rather tasteless organic produce this winter, I am looking forward to growing my own.



More seeds have arrived! I was searching online for a good tomato to grow in New Jersey, when I came upon the Rutgers University site (duh!) and they were selling two seeds for the garden this year, both claiming to have that famous "Jersey Tomato" taste. So I ordered both Ramapo and Moreton. I'll let you know how that goes.







From Jung's Seeds I received the white scallop squash, turnips and cucumbers.







And free with my order Jung's sent Teddy Bear Sunflower Seeds and something I had never heard of, Ground Cherries!
I've been reading a lot about Ground Cherries since I received them. They are in the tomato family and are poisonous when immature, have a papery husk like a tomatillo, and mature into a round, sweet, strawberry tasting fruit. They grow wild throughout the country. Should I try to grow them, even though I have never tasted them? What if they become a new favorite? What if I just waste valuable garden space on something I may not use?
So many things to ponder on yet another snowy evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment