The Potager

The Potager

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Garden Update - Tuesday, July 17

Welcome to my Potager in the middle of July! I am harvesting cucumbers, swiss chard, squash, zucchini, beets, scallions and lettuce. The red onions, garlic and shallots have been harvested and are drying.
Shallots
The jalapenos could be harvested, but I'm letting them get a bit larger first.

I have planted a lot of jalapenos so I can make a lot of jalapeno jelly! But that will be later in the season.
These babies will be made into poppers and used to season many dinners to come. Yummy!
The basil has been made into pesto and used to season many dishes but is in no danger of being over-harvested, in fact it's getting hard to keep up with.
The King of the North peppers I grew from seed are loaded with peppers that will be used soon. The plant my son gave me with banana peppers is ready now.

The tomato plants are loaded with green tomatoes. I can't wait for them to ripen! (But I will)
The leeks are finally fattening up. Well, most of them anyway!
The Rosa Bianco Eggplants are filled with flowers. No little eggplants yet.

There are three small pumpkins forming on my pumpkin vine! I'm hoping they survive to make our pumpkin pies this Thanksgiving.
The Ever Bearing strawberries are giving a small amount of ripe fruit daily. Not enough to do more than sprinkle on cereal. Which is fine, since the raspberries have just about stopped and I need some fruit for my Oatmeal!
I pulled out the collards. It was a lesson learned. They did grow well, but they definitely needed some protection. I need to improve the soil where they were with some manure and prepare it for some fall crops to be transplanted next month.
I'm not too sure about the broccoli. One of the three plants is starting to head up, but it doesn't look like a nice head. I'll wait a bit and see if it improves.
Thank you for stopping by. There is more growing that hasn't gotten to the picking and showing stage yet. But so far it is turning out to be a good year!
I am linking this up to  at An Oregon Cottage , where Jami's harvest makes me weak in the knees - If only I had more gardening space!


5 comments:

  1. You should be proud of your harvest. Your potager is looking just great. I am envious of your peppers. We just don't have the nighttime teperatures in Oregon to make peppers happy. I can just taste those poppers and the pepper jelly. Love them both!I'll keep my fingers crossed for you pumpkins too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. all that I have to say is WOW!
    This is so beautiful and organized...like a magazine cover

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is so pretty! Mine is a tangled mess right now! But we are getting enough veggies for dinner every night...sweet!

    Found you on the Tuesday Garden Party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have such a beautiful garden! Mine will never manage to be so neat and tidy. As soon as I get one thing done something else shoots up and out into the path and it's a jungle again. You should join us for Harvest Mondays! http://daphnesdandelions.blogspot.com/2012/07/harvest-monday-july-16th-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is much bounty from your potager garden for the kitchen. I love the design.

    ReplyDelete