The Potager

The Potager

Monday, July 30, 2012

Hummingbirds

I don't do hummingbird feeders. They need to be filled daily and washed weekly. I barely get my dishes done daily.
But Hubby and I do love hummingbirds so we plant flowers that will attract them.
I was deadheading in the perennial garden this evening watching the hummingbirds swoop around the Cleomes. I tried to photograph them, but they looked like this:
The bird is to the upper right of the Cleome. I don't have a really good camera, just a Sony Cyber-Shot.
So a little while later I was very happy to see the tiny birds take a break on the tomato cage holding my Ugly Tomatoes.
These are Ruby Throated Hummingbirds, the only kind we have around here. The one with her back to us is definitely a female. You can tell by the rounded tail with white tips. I think the other one is a young male.  Males don't get the red throat until after their first molt. Or it could be another female. I'm not a hummingbird expert.

The juvenile hummingbirds of both sexes look like a female. So my visitors may have just been curious youngsters out for an evening fly. I love the squeaky little chirp they make while flitting around.
These amazing little birds spend their winters in Mexico and the Caribbean. What an long journey for such a small bird!

I will always plant flowers for the hummingbirds.

No comments:

Post a Comment