The Potager

The Potager

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Seedling update

These are my current seedlings. I'll be planting tomatoes later this week. The guest bedroom was in use, so all the seedlings (except the onions that are hardening off) ended up in my bay window.

To the left are the California Wonder Peppers and to the right are the King of the North Peppers.

I'm thinking of planting 14 pepper plants total because I want an abundance of peppers.



So all of these will not make it into my garden.

I'm hoping 14 survive my inexperience.

(It was so much less stressful to go into a garden center and pick out a plant to transplant, but this is so much more fun. Fun and stressful.)


The Jalapeno M plants are coming along nicely. I'm hoping to get 4 to plant in my garden. 9 have sprouted.

To the far left are the Delphinium. 4 out of the 5 peat pot cells have flowers growing in them.

Next to them is the lavender. Only three of the five have sprouted.

The there are the Black Beauty Eggplants. 4 out of 5 have sprouted.

And to the right of them are the Rosa Bianco Eggplant. Again, 4 out of 5 have come up.

I planted two seeds in each peat pot cell. I am at a loss as to why the seeds in some cells never grow.

My cute little broccoli is to the left.  I might plant all 10 cells, if they survive.

To the right are my Southport Red Globe Onions.


This last tray holds New Red Fire lettuce in the front, Buttercrunch lettuce behind that, Ruby Cabbage and  Golden acres cabbage. The seedlings really lean toward the window every day. A light set up would really help them grow straighter, but it is what it is.

I purchased all these peat pots at a dollar store. I'll have to move the egg plants to bigger pots before they go outdoors. Maybe some of the others too. But it was an inexpensive way to get started this year.



And lastly my onions and scallions have been outside on the porch hardening off and attracting the curiosity of Binx.
One third of these spanish onions are in the potager under a floating row cover, since the temperature plunged after I planted them. They seem to be doing okay. At least we didn't get snow like North Jersey did.

No comments:

Post a Comment