The Potager

The Potager

Friday, May 6, 2011

Cool and Cloudy Garden

Yesterday morning it was cool - in the low 40's - and cloudy and windy. But not raining!
I try to get out in my garden by 6:30 am because I work full time. The benefit of this is that at 7:00 AM the nearby Military base plays Revelry and I know what time it is and how much longer I can stay out before coming in, cleaning up the house and getting to work on time. (close to on time in full disclosure)
Being it was so cold and nasty I took the opportunity to check on my cabbage and broccoli that have been growing under the row cover. I figured no White Cabbage Butterfly would be out on such a morning! The plants would be safe! (I really hate those things!)
I was pleased to see that most of them are growing well and look healthy. I tilled the soil around them, got rid of the weeds and added more soil around a few that were flopping over.
I then replaced the row cover, noting that there are a few holes. I don't think they are big enough for a white cabbage butterfly to fit through, but I'll keep my eye on them nonetheless.
While in my garden I noticed that the clematis climbing the fence behind my garden swing is in bloom! I do not not what variety these are as they were in a clearance mark down bin at the supermarket, but they are beautiful.
And the Empress of India Nasturtiums that I planted in my great-grandfather's planter in the center of the Potager last week have sprouted! These will be all red and grow 12 inches tall.
Finding a new bloom or sprout makes going out at 6:30 on a cold, windy morning worthwhile!


"Go out by yourself, face the wind, hold up your head and thank God for this gardening year."...Richardson Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment