The Potager

The Potager

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Pest Attack (Already?!!)

This morning I discovered my raspberries had leaves that looked like this!
And this!

I searched and searched and finally found the culprit.
Do you see the (out of focus ) caterpillar that's about the same size as that ant there?

Better in focus here. It's the  larvae of the Raspberry Sawfly. They live in the soil and climb out to eat the leaves in May or June.
That means they were in the soil when I bought the plant. Yuk.
I should have bought the bare root raspberry plants.

I stopped at a garden center on the way home from work and bought insecticidal soap. I doused the plant in the soap when I got home.

I will repeat the treatment every two weeks or so until I see no more signs of the pests.

Yuk. Caterpillars already!

I'm linking this post to Tuesday Garden Party at An Oregon Garden

3 comments:

  1. Sorry about the catepillars!! I hope you found them in time to save your crop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fellow blogger shared a recipe for capsaicin insect spray. It was super effective on our tomato plants last year. Here's a similar link but add 1 tsp of cayenne pepper sauce (like Texas Pete or Tabasco) http://www.canadiancountrywoman.com/garden/bugrecipes.php

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain- the fight against critters is never ending when you're trying for food. :-) Nice that you got it figured out right away, though!

    Jami
    An Oregon Cottage

    ReplyDelete